The church was made off a previous small chapel and was constructed between 1603 and 1626. The front wall is made out of the stones from Couronne stone pit and it was restored between 1971 and 1975 whilst the inside of the church was being renewed. The building is 44 meters long and 25 meters wide. Its height is 22,5 meters. The church has three irregular naves, without any marked transept.
The church’s design belongs to an understated Roman style, recognizable from its semi-circled vaults and openings, its outside buttresses and its massive walls and pillars. Each pillar covers a surface of 9 meters square. The walls can be up to 2 meters thick. This is a plain outstanding building with three four-span naves, vaulted by intersecting ribs, semicircular arcs and square and massive piles.
The Roman door on the left side wall is a creation from the restoration. It dates back to 1972 and it is by the architect Massé. Above it, a beautiful Roman rose window can be beheld. The wonderful door of the main entrance is called « Consular Door ». This is the door through which the consul mayors would enter. The stone framing of this door, out of the rocks from Courrone stone pit, was sculpted by Jean Lenfant around 1616. The solid walnut door is a recent piece of work (1975) although it is a replica of the previous one.
In the bottom left, there is a marble statue: it is Notre Dame de Bon Voyage. The statue originally comes from the former Capucins monastry.
In the 18th century the church acquired a high altar by Fossati, a marble worker from Marseille. This is a remarkable piece of work due to its variety of marbles. The wooden choir is made of walnut and it dates back to 1649. Above the high altar, a statue of the Assumption can be seen, a 3,15 meters high piece of work by the statue maker Millefaut. It is worth noticing the sculpture’s very sensitive moves and the purity of the lines. In the middle-right hand corner, a painting by the Flemish painter Finsonius (1580-1632) represents the scene of the Deposition of Christ. This painting bears the year 1615. The carved wooden frame was sculpted in 1786 by Manoyer Fecit, a resident of La Ciotat.
The recently restored organs come from Les Accoules, an area located in Marseille’s Old Port, and were a donation made in 1663.
The pediment’s stained glasses and rose window are remarkable.
The fabric-made Stations of the Cross is a piece of work by Mrs Lorosière who donated it in 1976. The captions are from Paul Claudel.
The wall frescos realised in 1975 are pieces of work by the local painter Ganteaume. These frescos inside the church are reminders of our current world and more specifically of our city. On a triptych, the painter evokes the Liberation, the Redemption and the Resurrection.
In the bottom of the church, on each side of the porch, two paintings by Tony Roux, a local painter, represent the Man and the Woman.
On the right handside of the high altar stands the Christ of the Green Island that has been restored by Elisabeth and Rurick Bounatian Benatov and that is originally a piece of work by the scultpor Giambologna, himself a Michelangelo’s student.
Masses schedules: sunday at 10 a.m
Opening hours: monday to friday from 10 am to 12 am and from 3 pm to 5 pm – and saturday from 10 am to 12 am.
Telephone: +33 (0)6 81 97 17 97